Monday, July 16, 2007

Geysers and Swimming Holes...


I don't think I have ever been so banged up on a vacation! We ended our tour today with a trip to Firehole Canyon swimming hole. I can't believe this thing is legal. It is off the side of a cliff that has stairs about 1/2 way down, then you are on your own. Everyone remember, we have Carli along with us, and she is not too fond of hiking! We get down there and there are, sure enough, lots of people like us that thought this would be a cool thing to do. We got in the water, which is all part of Little Firehole River, and it was slippery and rocky. Good thing we had on shoes! But it was either 2-3 feet deep or it was suddenly 10-12 feet deep. There were rapids where Courtney and Mark had to hold on to the side of the canyon and pull themselves upriver, then you could let go and sort of body surf the rapids back down. You had to be pretty strong to do it safely. I was not interested in that, so Brandi and I tried to keep Carli corralled at the bottom of the swimming hole.It was no safer, there was a low, wide but fast waterfall. Carli kept getting closer and closer to the edge and of course she was slippery and of course, she went over the falls and I went with her. In an attempt to save us, Brandi went over, too. She got in front and sort of "caught" us, or we crashed into her, it was ugly. Mark and Courtney were busy trying not to drown at the other end in the deep water. A Ranger did appear and ask if we needed help, but by then we had crawled to the side, dragging Carli with us. So after that, we left! Carli was mad, she thought we were having fun! Anyway, it was an adventure we will all remember, some more fondly than others.
We spent this morning doing the geyser tour, with me and my ranger station brochures as our tour guide. Why pay for a tour when I can do it? There are a lot of geysers out here and some are bigger and erupt more often than Old Faithful. Mark said he is done with geysers. He has seen enough. They do smell really bad (sulfur) and Alex said they all feel like someone is breathing on him!
Tomorrow Courtney , Brandi and Alex and I are going horseback riding through the mountains and Mark is taking Carli to Bear Country. She loves the bears. This is all assuming I can walk, as my right leg is killing me from my tumble down the falls. Thanks everyone, for your comments-I love them-welcome, Jerry and Kathy-glad to see you are reading! And to Steve, my most faithful reader, I am going to bring you something special! Colleen, the animal pics are all for you, baby!
Sorry for the delay getting pics up today-the internet connection takes forever here!

3 comments:

swartzmd said...

Were you too banged up from the ol swimmin hole to post any geyser pictures? Usually the geyser's make great pics. And really they don't smell any worse than Mark (I still think of him as the dummy). We are enjoying the nightly updates from your vacation as much as you are the comments. Tell Mark I spent Sunday on my tractor cutting hay- looked and felt like Eddie Albert- while Caren shoveled sh!t- like Ava Gabor!

Colleen said...

I'm a faithful reader... I want something special too!

Just look how Steve mocks you and your injuries. He isn't concerned that you are sore - he just wants geyser photos. Plus he keeps calling Mark 'A Dummy'. Me, I am always telling you to drive carefully & to watch out for dangerous wildlife. OK - so I called Mark 'A Dummy' too - but I only did it one time...he probably isn't even reading this but he knows I say it with love and affection.

So when can I expect my special surprise? Can't wait!!

:)

swartzmd said...

I love the geyser pictures! And what's with colleen throwing me under the bus!?! No bird pictures for her. Only geysers. The swimmin hole looked great, even if very dangerous.

Maybe if colleen spent more time reading/writing and less time tossin down on me she could get something special...

I hope mine is meat...