Wednesday, November 4, 2009

So with Carli feeling better, Courtney and I left Carli in Mark's capable hands and met Brandi at Alex's Washington and Lee's Parent's Weekend. It was so fun! Alex is an awesome cousin-he kept such close tabs on Courtney he almost scared some of his friends! We had a great time-pics are on Facebook, because I did not take my camera! Bummer!
On a sadder note, this week my grandmother passed away. Grandma Whaley lived on a beautiful ranch at the foot of the Bighorn Mountains in Shell, Wyoming. It is breathtaking out on the ranch, but to grandma, it was isolating. She failed to see the beauty of it, looking for something else instead. She left her children several times, looking for that "something else". Sadly, the "children" are now left trying to function as a family, when they really were never taught how to function as a family. They fight so bad it is unbearable to listen to. As soon as grandma died my sister and I got on the phone and discussed our own mother's funeral wishes, as grandma's were destroyed right from the moment she died, due to lack of communication on the children's' part. I am sure when they read this they will all be mad at me for airing our dirty laundry, but honestly, why keep it a secret? That is not the way family should function. I hope the memorial they talk about is planned and I hope all of my aunts and uncles will attend and that everyone will at least pretend to like each other, just for the service. I hope that all my cousins will come, the ones I grew up with that I never see, and their husbands, wives and kids I have never met-wouldn't that be so great? I saw grandma two years ago and I am so glad we made that journey out west. Mark, Brandi and I pulled campers all the way across the country, and we went to visit grandma and our kids have a memory and a picture of that and I am so glad. Brandi and I spent a night alone at grandma's house "tucking her in" and although we laughed our butts off that night, I am so glad we did it. We have a memory of grandma that is special-of grandma laughing and making us laugh so hard-it will always be special to us. Rest in Peace Grandma and tell Grandpa we all said hello and we have missed him!!!

No comments: