Friday, October 30, 2009

Carli and the Great H1N1 Virus

Maybe we should write a book!
Last night at dinner, we weighed our options with the Tamiflu, and Steve, who also happens to be a Dr, convinced me to go ahead and give it to her, but to give it to her along with food that I would not mind cleaning up later. So I let her have ice cream (hey, she's sick) and gave her the medicine. She seemed to keep it down for about 30 minutes, then came and asked me to put her to bed. But it was only 7:30. I thought, maybe she is just tired from being sick, she didn't sleep all day. Well, 15 minutes after she was in bed, we heard her crying. Sure enough, the pediatrician was right, she threw it all up. And then threw up about 3 more times. We changed sheets, pajamas, sheets, pajamas until about 11:30, then she fell asleep. But she was unable to keep the Motrin down, so she woke up with a fever of 103, sore throat, and dizziness. Mark had to carry her from the bathroom to the couch this morning. I gave her Motrin at 8:15 and her fever has dropped to 101.4, which to her, is okay because she is happily playing and drinking right now. I am so glad the Motrin works for her, I have heard some kids keep the high fever despite the Motrin or Tylenol. Her lungs sound clear, too. So far, so good. It would have been nice if the Tamiflu had worked for her, but it didn't so we will just have to ride it out.

I find myself a little annoyed with the whole Tami flu experience. Nobody has ever told me that it would make you this sick, or that some people just can't take it. It has kind of been marketed as a quick fix, don't worry if you get it, you can take Tami flu and it cuts your symptoms and duration time in half, as long as you get it in that first 48 hours of symptoms. I work in a major hospital, were this flu has been on the forefront of all our meetings and discussions, and I did not know this. Is it a secret? Even the pharmacist didn't mention it!

Have a good day everyone-I will keep you up to date on Carli's recovery!

No comments: