Friday, June 19, 2009

I have a dirty little secret...


Okay, here it is. I have this problem that we have been battling for months. I haven't really talked about it much because it is repulsive. We have mice. Not just a mouse, like I thought at Christmas time, but several, maybe a lot. I kept seeing the "signs" mice leave, but not a real mouse. We saw one in the family room a few months ago and put out a glue trap and got him. Colleen told me to make sure all the dog food was put in bins. I did that. Then I pulled out the drawer to my oven and all the muffin tin cups were full of dog food. I thought Carli had done it, pretending she was "cooking". Nope, these mice are very crafty and have been stealing Ruby's food from her bowl and hiding it away. We cleaned it all up, took everything out of the oven drawer and this time put green poison cubes under the oven . Guess what I found in my SILVERWARE drawer-poop-green poop.Apparently it is just a tasty snack for them. It just goes right through them. I took everything out of my drawers. We put it all on the dining room table. So yesterday, after finding more poop in the empty drawers, I looked under my kitchen sink. I pulled everything out and looked at where the pipes come in. A mouse could easily fit in those gaps and climb right up under the counter top and into the drawers. I called my friend Caren, she always knows what to do. First, she assessed my mental health. She said "It's okay, everyone gets mice. It doesn't mean your house is dirty". I really do take it personally that I am having this issue, because we are clean people, I swear! Then she told me to go to Lowe's and get spray insulation and spray around the openings under the sink. She said "It's the builder's fault, they should have done that when they built the house." Love Caren. She always knows what to say. I told Carli to get dressed, we went to the store and purchased the spray insulation and more traps. I sprayed the gaps, and put peanut butter on the traps in the drawer. I am using glue traps because the spring traps just don't work, the mice eat the peanut butter off of them and go off on their merry little way, thinking how lucky they are that this homeowner feeds them tasty peanut butter treats. This morning, we got up, looked in the drawer and guess what was in there? An empy drawer with peanut butter somehow licked off the middle of the glue traps. And mouse poop. He is still getting in!
Yes, I have a cat, but she is useless. I have toyed with bringing a barn cat in here for the night but I am afraid of what it will do to the rest of my house. I am going to have to hire professionals, I think. I used to have a snake under my house. Life was good then. I had no mice, just a big, black snake. We didn't acknowledge each other. He ignored me, and I pretended I didn't know he was there. Then one day a well-meaning neighbor saw him and disposed of him. How do I lure another black snake under my house? If anyone has ideas, please, feel free to offer your suggestions.
Check the pictures out. Steve, Caren and Mark and I went out to dinner last night at Maggiano's. It was a lovely evening, we sat outside. We ordered wine and mussels for an appetizer, they were so good! I had lobster ravioli. A nice, relaxing evening out with friends was perfect after a day of mouse hunting.

No comments: