Monday, July 6, 2009

Runner

I am thinking about running a half-marathon. The most I have ever run is a 10k, and that was, I think, 2 years ago. I finished in 62 minutes. Not bad, but not great either. I think I could do it faster now. It would involve a lot of training, and time. Sometimes I wonder, when I spend time doing things like this, that are just for my own personal satisfaction, am I being selfish? Is this time I am taking time away from my family for purely selfish reasons? I talk to people all the time who tell me "I wish I had the time to work out, I am so busy with my job or my kids or whatever". I carve time out in the mornings, usually, but if I have to I will take an hour to myself in the evenings and go for a run, or go to the gym. Am I being selfish? I don't think so, I think I am a better person for it. I feel better, look better and hopefully inspire my kids to exercise as well. I think sometimes people say things like "I just don't have time, I don't know how you do" in some attempt to make themselves feel better about not exercising. Sure, I could spend my days researching Down Syndrome, or researching exactly what classes Courtney needs to improve on to increase her chances at a good college, but would I be happier? I don't think so. And if I am not happy-well, there is a big, dark cloud hovering over the house! My running time gives me the opportunity to clear my head and plan my day, my week, whatever. I like to run alone, no ipod or anything, just me and my time to think and plan. I did run with Brandi this weekend, she is in the Army and runs all the time, so she entertained me by talking the whole 4 miles (!) while I listened and only responded when I had to, I can't chit-chat when I run. But I can listen!
Recently I found out that Disney World does marathons-10k's, 1/2 marathons and marathons that look so fun. There is even a 5k that you can push a stroller in-Carli would love that, it's a family run, we could all take turns pushing her in her stroller. So we may have to try that...

No comments: